Monday 5 October 2015

PRE-PREPPING TREATMENT

Thanks to the presentation by the University of Birmingham and FutureLearn on my film making course (HERE is a blog post I wrote about it when I signed up), I learned that aiming to reach a large audience online, making sure my film trailer has universal appeal is vital to succeed attracting and addressing audiences. 

Frank Ash speaking on my FutureLearn course in week 1

Frank Ash, Creative Consultant for BBC Academy, believes that through storytelling and creative techniques a film can be successfully produced. For Ash, it is important to focus on the audience and what interests the audience. He questions, how will the narrative develop?

I found the definition of 'the big question' in Media Studies meaning the overall question the film focuses on or answers- http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/big%20question


 
I found the definition of 'topline' in Media Studies meaning the 'main focus' - http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/topline


These are questions that I will be aiming to answer when making my film trailer. I completed a set of questions to get me started on my treatment for my film trailer.

1. Think of a 'good story' such as a favourite book or film you have recently watched online, could you sum up its narrative into 'one elegant sentence' to provide its 'topline' (one beautiful, elegant story)?
2. What was its big question, and how important was it to your appreciation and validity of the text (that will have a sense of anticipation and suspense in turn attracting and addressing the audience)?


Frank Ash's guide to planning a treatment - futher attracting and addressing audiences

Frank Ash's transcript

I decided to practice answering these questions by doing a mini-analysis on the film, Love Actually.

The Top Line: A selection of people connected by love explore the complexities of achieving happiness in their love lives.

The Big Question: Will each person importantly achieve the company of love leading to happiness at Christmas?

By doing this exercise I will aim to define in my treatment the big question and top line. These are my initial thoughts on the treatment, including the top line and big question, of my film trailer. I answered some key questions from the FutureLearn website helping me to start initial planning for the treatment of my film trailer.  

HERE is a blog post showing a mindmup of my final film trailer idea.

What is this story?

A fast paced story showcasing the heroic, determined brother of a girl recently killed by a dominating, abusive and ignorant killer.

What's it all about?

A story focussing on a heroic brother fighting for the justice of his sister - avenging his sisters abusive, territorial and ignorant killer.

What kind of a story is it?

The stories genre is an Action and Adventure Thriller film.

What's the issue, the content that this story is going to be dealing with?

The key issues explored in the story include death, murdering, mental health issues (explored after the sisters death) and determination.

The Top Line: A heroic, caring man try's to avenge his loving sisters death, killed by planned male mass shooting, without being convicted. 

The Big Question: Will he succeed in bringing his sister to justice allowing her to rest in peace?

HERE is a link to my groups GoogleDocs document that is also listed on the right-hand-side of my blog role --->

No comments:

Post a Comment